This post contains affiliate links. We may earn money from the products mentioned in this post, but this is at no cost to you
Selection of fun rainbow party ideas for kids, including ideas for food, decorations and printables. All of these ideas can be reproduced at home and on a budget.
The kids will love having all the colors of the rainbow in their bright and vibrant party theme.
A rainbow party is the perfect party for kids that like things colorful. Sometimes kids don’t have a favorite color and they simply say “I like them all”. Well if that’s the case for your child then a rainbow birthday theme is perfect for them!
It’s also great for both the boys and the girls, which makes it ideal if you are having a mixed gender party.
Another great thing about this party theme is that this party is also so much fun to put together. You are able to play with various colors and be as bold and bright as you like.
All these rainbow party ideas will stop and make your guests smile. No-one can look at a rainbow without smiling and that’s exactly what would happen with this party theme.
Have you ever looked into the sky, seen a rainbow and immediately looked away? Nope, I didn’t think so.
A rainbow is one of nature’s beautiful gifts and certainly brings warmth and happiness.
There are SO many things that you can do with this theme, and here are just a few rainbow party ideas to help you get started.
One of the great things about a rainbow party is that you don’t need to think too hard about how how to style the party decorations.
They simply need to be bright colors and featuring all the colors of the rainbow.
But as a general rule of thumb there are a few party supplies that you will want to include to ensure that all your colorful ideas come together.
Use lots of different colors in your balloons. Balloons are easy to decorate with and provide an instant pop of color.
There are several ways to decorate with rainbow colored balloons:
- Balloon weights – Place helium in the balloons and then tie them to balloons weights. Several balloon weights placed around the party area will easily provide the rainbow of colors that you are hoping for. The vibrant colors will be seen as soon as the little guests enter the party.
- Balloon arch – Rainbow balloon arches are becoming increasingly popular. They are perfect for adding as a statement piece to either highlight a dessert table or to be used as a focal point for taking photos. The balloon arch will be impossible to miss and it will certainly make all the party guests smile.
- Balloon garland – Instead of arranging the balloons into an arch, arrange them into a long garland instead.
Another easy party decoration to use is rainbow colored streamers. Simply drape them around the party area for an instant pop of color.
The streamers can be collated together to form a party backdrop or simply used to decorate ceilings and walls quickly and easily. Ensure that you use as many bright colors in the streamers as possible to maximise the rainbow effect.
It is a great idea to include a party backdrop in the decor. This can be used to behind the party table or as a separate feature and used as a photo booth.
Setting up two backdrops to serve both purposes is not uncommon either. A great backdrop will instantly lift your party decorations.
Tissue Paper PomPoms:
Tissue paper pom poms are a fun and inexpensive party decoration. The best party about these is that they can also be made, which will save those precious dollars on other party items.
The pom poms could either be made in white to resemble clouds, or as all the colors of the rainbow.
If you want to see pops of color moving around the party area, the easiest way to do this is to give each of the kids a bright colored party hat.
You will see coloring moving everywhere!
Rainbow Party Food
Coordinating the food for a rainbow party is pretty simple.
You can literally use whatever food you like, provided that you ensure there are a lot of bright colors on the food table.
There are lots of great ideas for rainbow food including:
- Rainbow Birthday Cakes – There is something pretty special about a rainbow cake. As soon as that first slice is taken out everyone is able to marvel at the beautiful layers of cake in front of them. A rainbow cake never disappoints!
- Plate of fruit – A colorful display can easily be created with a beautiful plate of fresh fruit. Mix all the fruit together for a bright display.
- Rainbow fruit skewers – Another fun way to display fruit is in a fruit skewer. This is also a great way to make the fruit look fun to the kids.
- Rainbow cupcakes – These are easy to create by simply adding rainbow candy on the top of the cupcake. They are definitely the easiest kind of rainbow cupcakes.
- Jello – Simply use different flavors of jello to create a colorful rainbow on the table.
- Food Coloring – If you are really suck for ideas, then a little food coloring goes a long way! Grab yourself lots of different colors and then simply add to all types of food. For example, it is super easy to change the topping color of cookies and the chocolate color of the marshmallow pops with food coloring.
Rainbow Party Favors
Kids love their party favors.
You really don’t need to think too much about how to prepare rainbow favors. Just ask yourself, is the favor a color of the rainbow?
Steer clear of anything black and you are pretty much onto a winning streak. It is then possible to fill the party favor bags with the following items:
- Rainbow temporary tattoos
- Spinning tops
- Pens and pencils
- Rainbow stickers
- Hair clips and ties
- Candy sticks
Really anything can go into this bag.
If you find some colorful party favors it doesn’t really matter what it is. If it’s age appropriate then it can be used at a rainbow party.
Easy Rainbow Party Theme Ideas
Read on to view some rainbow parties that have used all the above ideas to create a magical event. These parties show all the best ideas together.
1. Budget Friendly Rainbow Party
Source: Smart Party Planning
This rainbow birthday party is super easy to recreate.
With some simple colorful decorations and themed food, this is a party that is easy to put together and enjoy.
2. Rainbow Easter Party
Source: Chickabug Blog
This rainbow Easter party gives a great “pop” of color. It is vibrant and dramatic and utterly gorgeous.
There are too many things to pin point my favorites, but for a start I love the backdrop, water bottle labels, bunny tails, and pinwheels. You are going to have to take a look yourself at the rest.
3. Dessert Filled Rainbow Party
Source: Baby Lifestyles
Do you love desserts? If so, this rainbow dessert party is going to make your mouth water. It is colorful yet stylish and utterly tempting.
4. Subtle Rainbow Party
Source: Fudge Banana Swirl
If you are looking for some rainbow party ideas that are super sweet, then this rainbow party is for you.
The party decor is subtle but still encompasses all of the rainbow qualities. The party favors are adorable, simple yet effective.
They look especially amazing propped up in the suitcase.
5. Hot Air Balloon Rainbow Party
Source: Paiges of Style
This hot air balloon rainbow party is simply adorable. The printable collection is utterly gorgeous and the decorations are so pretty.
Watch out for the hot air balloon table centrepieces.
6. Simple Rainbow Party
Source: Creative Food
If you would like some rainbow party ideas without all the fuss, then you must check out this simple rainbow party.
This is a party without printable’s, without lots of desserts and is definitely a party on a budget.
BUT putting all those things aside, it doesn’t mean this party isn’t just as fabulous. This is a simple rainbow party and a fantastic example of how simplicity can be stunning.
Use these rainbow birthday party ideas to create a party that your child will always remember. The explosion of color will certainly make their little kids faces light up.
A rainbow party is definitely a way to bring a smile to everyone’s faces and if you are looking for a party theme that will delight all those that attend, then the colorful rainbow themed birthday party has you covered.
All those bright rainbow colors will easily put a smile on everyone’s face.
Let’s keep in touch. Did you love these rainbow party ideas? Sign up to the weekly newsletter to be kept updated with other easy party, recipe and decoration ideas. You will also have access to a wide range of free printables in the subscriber only library. See you there!
Heather - Chickabug says
Thanks for featuring my customer’s rainbow party! : )
Catherine Holt says
You are very welcome Heather. It was such a clever spin on a rainbow party…..it was impossible not to feature 🙂
People are so creative. I love to see everyone’s ideas.
Catherine Holt says
Thank Jodi. I love the weekly round up of party ideas…it is a fantastic opportunity to showcase some other amazing party bloggers out there 🙂
The Party Gecko says
Really cute party. I love this theme – you can go really nuts with the colors!
Catherine Holt says
Absolutely…there is so much fun you can have with a rainbow party. It’s a burst of colours and excitement 🙂