This post contains affiliate links. We may earn money from the products mentioned in this post, but this is at no cost to you
Birds nest cookies are the ultimate Easter treats for kids. This is a recipe that will come out every Easter as the kids absolutely love them.
With a chocolate cookie base and a coconut topping, the kids will be begging you for more. They are fun treats for Easter which are super simple to make.
They tick all the box’s.
Birds nest cookies are a delightful treat to make for Easter. Not only are they incredibly easy to make, but they are bright, colorful and the kids absolutely love them.
The only difficulty will be keeping little hands away from eating all of them too quickly. This could be a problem or not, depending on your point of view.
There are two ways to make these cookies.
- Using a packet of chocolate cookies as the base or
- Making your own chocolate cookies. If you prefer this option, then I recommend following my basic chocolate cookie recipe. These cookies are guaranteed to be super delicious.
After the cookies have been made (or emptied from the packet), the nest is simply added with icing and coconut. Of course to finish the nests off they are filled with your favorite kind of mini eggs.
Then hey presto….you are done!
Reduce The Chocolate Overload With Jelly Beans
Sometimes chocolate on chocolate can simply be too much to handle. Yes I know it’s hard to believe, but there are times when other ingredients need to come into play.
Instead of using chocolate eggs on top of the nest, I opted for jelly beans.
The jelly beans not only gave a break from the chocolate and an ease on the palate but they gave a beautiful vibrant color to the birds nest cookies.
If however you do want to go crazy chocolate overload then mini chocolate eggs would also work just fine.
I know I normally go all out chocolate, but sometimes (just sometimes) there is room for compromise. This is one of those times that it’s acceptable don’t you think?
Let The Kids Loose In The Kitchen
Whilst baking with kids is not everyone’s cup of tea (I hear you loud and clear), sometimes there is a recipe that just calls for children’s input, and this one is it.
If you can’t handle the thought of them baking the cookies with you, they can just be involved with the decoration part.
Kids would have an absolute blast making these, so if you have the patience for baking with kids, then let them have some fun in the kitchen.
Even if you prepare the cookies first and then just let them decorate the top. They will love coming up with different color combinations and they will also enjoy showing off their creations to everyone else.
How To Make The Birds Nest Cookies
Ok, you have been patient, but I hear you. You want to know how you can make these delicious cookies.
Simply follow this step by step guide.
Follow the chocolate cookie recipe OR open cookies from a packet. There is no shame in doing the latter!
But for beautiful egg shape cookies, it is great to bake your own and use an egg shaped cookie cutter.
Mix some icing and place into a piping bag. This will make it easier to spread onto the cookies. Follow the outline of the cookies with the icing, leaving the middle free.
Cover the icing with shredded coconut.
In the middle of the icing ring, place either your jelly beans or chocolate mini eggs. If you would like the eggs to stick to the cookie, then you can place a small amount of icing on the middle of the cookie.
Birds Nest Cookies Recipe
Print the recipe or bookmark this page so you can keep coming back to it again and again. Also, don’t forget to PIN it!
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 ½ tbsp boiling water.
- Shredded coconut
- Jelly beans or mini chocolate eggs
- TO MAKE THE COOKIES:
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C (375 degrees F).
- Sift together the flour, cocoa and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth, then beat in the egg. Gradually stir in the sifted ingredients to form a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces, flatten and wrap in cling film. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Tip: If you don’t have time to refrigerate you can place in the freezer for 15-30 minutes. Trust me, you don’t want to skip this step otherwise you bake cakes not cookies!!
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/8 inch in thickness and cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters.
- Place the cookies onto grease proof paper on your baking tray.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow the cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- TO DECORATE THE BIRDS NEST COOKIES
- When cooled, make the icing by mixing the icing sugar with vanilla essence and water.
- Place the icing around the edge of the cookies using a piping bag.
- Cover the icing with coconut.
- Fill the middle of the cookies with your chosen eggs.
Do you think these birds nest cookies are going to be a hit with your family this Easter?
With the delicious chocolate cookie and the sweetness of the jelly beans, they are an Easter treat that the little fingers are going to keep trying to grab.
Need some more ideas? Check out these easy and fun Easter ideas that the whole family can enjoy. You will have a ton of inspiration for recipes, printables, crafts and more.
Let’s keep in touch. Did you love these birds nest cookies? Sign up to the weekly newsletter to be kept up to date with other easy recipe, holiday and printable ideas.
You can also stay up to date on all our posts, by following Smart Party Planning on Pinterest.