This post contains affiliate links. We may earn money from the products mentioned in this post, but this is at no cost to you
This is the easiest and best homemade rhubarb and strawberry shortcake recipe you are going to find.
It has a buttery base, sweet soft rhubarb and strawberry center, and finished with a sweet crumbly topping. This recipe will make your mouth water for sure!
It’s easy to make from scratch and will be a family favorite.
- For another mourish and easy eating Sunday afternoon dessert, try out this amazing banana bread recipe. You will not be disappointed.
- Need a chocolate fix. A white chocolate peppermint slice should do the trick.
On a lazy Sunday afternoon there is nothing more satisfying than kicking back and treating youself to something that is going to make your taste buds dance.
You want biscuit, he wants cake but you both want something indulgent that will make your mouth water and send you to taste bud heaven.
Enter this rhubarb and strawberry shortcake recipe that is just like Grandma used to make. Let our contributor Kirsten take you on this journey of pure delight.
Rhubarb & Strawberry shortcake recipe. It’s a buttery base, sweet soft rhubarb and strawberry center, and finished with a sweet crumbly topping. A delightful sweet snack that will have everyone asking ‘just one more piece please!’
Before we start- I don’t really know what a ‘short cake’ is, so this is my version…
Okay, so it is my birthday this month (24th to be exact) and I am turning the ‘big’ 3-0. And I don’t care.
I don’t actually understand why people make such a big deal about age. My friend said I will care when I hit 40, but I don’t think I will.
It is just a number; as long as I am healthy, active and happy- life is good.
So, to celebrate I started to think about all of my favorite food and what I could create to celebrate such an occasion- chocolate, cheesecake and peanut butter were all on the list.
But it all kind of hit home when people started asking me what I wanted for my birthday- you know, presents, cake/s. I just wanted memories.
And that’s where this recipe came from- a memory.
Some of my favorite days are spent by the water, in the sun with my Mum having strong, dark coffee, chatting and (of course) shopping.
A little while ago, Mum and I were doing just that and she found a cake like this in the shop where we were having breakfast. She figured it wasn’t a breakfast food, but convinced me to go back later so she could have a slice.
So although Mum keeps asking me what she can get me for my birthday, this is a present for her- her recipe, our memory.
What do I want for my birthday Mum? Breakfast by the water, long chats, shopping time and more memories. Thanks xo
The Rhubarb & Strawberry Shortcake Recipe That Will Make Memories
- RHUBARB AND STRAWBERRY LAYER
- 250 grams rhubarb- sliced
- 250 grams strawberries – stem removed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- ½ tablespoon caster sugar (+ extra if fruit is not sweet enough)
- 125 grams Butter - melted
- 115 grams Caster sugar
- 215 grams self raising flour- sifted
- 1 egg
- 1 heaped teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- Place the fruit, water and ½ tablespoon of sugar in a saucepan over a low heat. Stew slowly until the fruit has broken down. Set aside to cool.
- Melt the butter and add the sugar, flour and egg. Mix until it forms a loose dough like mixture.
- Place 2/3 of the mixture into the base of a lined slice tin, pushing down firmly with your hand.
- Place a layer of the cooled fruit mixture on top and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Crumble the remaining 1/3 of the dough on top of the fruit roughly. It does not need to cover the slice completely as it will expand.
- Sprinkle with the raw sugar.
- Bake in an oven on 170 degrees for 25-30mins or until the top is golden.
- Cool before cutting or serve warm with custard, cream or ice cream.
Do you have a memory that makes you love a particular food or a recipe you love because of a memory?
I’d love to hear from you, leave me a comment!
Need some more recipe ideas? Check out our entire range of party food ideas that are perfect for the kids and adults too. There are plenty of homemade birthday cakes, cupcakes, cookies, chocolate popcorn and other delicious recipes that guests will all love.