This post contains affiliate links. We may earn money from the products mentioned in this post, but this is at no cost to you
I am a HUGE fan of pizza, so was delighted when I saw this month’s recipe from our contributor Marla at Organic Life On A Budget. These veggie pizza pockets look seriously sensational and I know they would become a favorite in this house!
You know those frozen pizza pockets that you buy at the grocery store?
I used to eat those a lot during college, but realized how processed and completely unnatural the ingredients are. I just quit eating them.
A few months ago it occurred to me that I could make my own.
Homemade Veggie Pizza Pockets are a such a delightful, family-friendly treat! I love to make these vegetarian.
It’s a great way to get the kids to eat some veggies without them really knowing. My son just knows he’s eating pizza and loves it!
And, of course, it’s makes me feel so much better to know that when we are eating these homemade pizza pockets, they are completely natural. No artificial ingredients at all.
For these Homemade Veggie Pizza Pockets, I use black beans and my own tomato sauce. Using dried beans and a bit of my homemade tomato sauce (which I always have on hand) is a great way to keep this recipe budget-friendly as well.
The pizza pockets are so easy to make, and you can even enlist the kids to help with these. You just pull apart fresh made pizza dough and roll it out into small little pizzas.
Then you top with the beans, tomato sauce and cheese. You just fold them over and pop them in the oven for about 20 minutes, then you can enjoy!
The use of beans, tomato sauce and cilantro in this recipe creates a Mexican-style flavor combination. I like to serve these with a side of guacamole and salsa for dipping. Yum!
You can also add some chicken or ground meat to these if you would like.
The great thing about homemade pizza pockets is, that just like making pizza at home, you can make your own combination of ingredients that your family loves.
- 1/4 lb dried black beans,
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4-6 oz. Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 lb. pizza dough
- 1-2 T olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add 1 T olive oil, garlic, beans and salt and pepper to taste. Allow to heat through, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan, place in a bowl and set aside.
- In same skillet over medium heat, add 1 T olive, tomato sauce and cilantro, cook about 5 minutes, until sauce turns a darker red. Remove from pan, place in a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare ingredients for assembling pizza pockets: flour a surface where you can roll pizza dough, take the 1 lb of pizza dough and pull off small balls of dough about 2 in. in size (you will get about 10-12 balls), have bowl of black beans, bowl of tomato sauce, and a bowl of cheese nearby.
- To assemble pizza pockets: on floured surface, roll out small bowls of pizza dough into small round circles, top with tomato sauce, then beans, then cheese. Repeat until all pockets are filled.
- Once all pockets are filled you will fold over one edge to completely enclose the filling, use a fork to mash the edges down, then prick a small hole in the top so steam can escape, transfer to an oven safe dish, and bake about 15-20 minutes until starting to brown.
Try making your own Homemade Veggie Pizza Pockets, you will love it!
Do you think these will become a family favorite in your house?