This post contains affiliate links. We may earn money from the products mentioned in this post, but this is at no cost to you
If you love Indian food and also appetizers, then you are going to love Ritu’s Khandvi recipe that she shares with us today.
Khandvi is a famous authentic Indian savory snack from the city of Gujarat prepared with gram flour and served with mint and tamarind chutney. It is light on stomach, easy to make and healthy too.
While preparing this snack the consistency of gram flour (Besan) is very important. For making perfect “Khandvi”,we have to stir the gram flour consistently and have to bring it to the right consistency so that rolls can come out properly and we can have perfect rolls.
It is a steamed snack and can be refrigerated for 2 days. It has good nutritional value and is low on fat. The seasoning of beautiful flavors and combination of Indian spices makes it scrumptious. Because it is steamed, you can indulge in eating this guilt free.
It has a very nice mild taste and melts in mouth. You cannot stop yourself from eating these rolls, once you have a bite. It can be served for breakfast, starter or an evening snack with a hot cup of tea or coffee. You can give variations to it by adding some cottage cheese while rolling these rolls or shred some cheese on the top. It will surely be worth the effort and you will realize that in every bite you will take.
The ingredients used for this dish are basic ingredients available in every kitchen. Making this will need patience but end result would be amazing.
Making a Khandvi recipe needs lots of patience. This is one of my favorites. I always had it in restaurant before. I was encouraged of making it when I couldn’t find it in a place I am staying nowadays. Craving for Khandvi was so strong that I end up making it at home. Sometimes it doesn’t come out right in the first attempt. Fortunately it came out fine when I tried for the first time. Then there was no looking back and I started making it often. It is a nutritious snack which is steamed and is full of protein and low in fats. If you are on diet, or if you like easily digestible food or you want to try a delicious snack from India, give it a try.
Do make a note of few tips before you start with the recipe, don’t overcook the batter or under-cook otherwise rolls will not come out fine. And do check if the consistency of the batter is right or not by spreading the small amount of batter on a plate and check it out if the rolls are coming out fine. If the consistency is fine and rolls are coming out fine, go ahead and spread all the batter, otherwise keep cooking on medium flame.
You can serve it with the different Indian chutneys which are full of Indian aromatic spices and taste. You can serve it with yummy tamarind chutney or spicy mint chutney.
Let’s start with the recipe :
Ingredients for Khandvi rolls:
- • 1/2 gram flour (Besan, chickpeas flour)
- • 2 cups buttermilk (Yogurt blended with water)
- • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric Powder
- • 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- • 1 lemon
- • Salt according to taste
Ingredients for Seasoning :
- • 2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- • 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida (heeng)
- • 8 curry leaves (Kadi patta)
- • 1/3 cup chopped coriander leaves
- • 1 tablespoon grated carrot
- • 1 tablespoon grated coconut
Preparation for seasoning :
- 1.Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves
- 2.When mustard seeds splutter and seasoning is cooked keep it aside
Preparation for Khandvi rolls :
- 1.Take a bowl, add gram flour, buttermilk, turmeric powder, ginger, lemon juice and salt
- 2.Mix it well with the beater or a hand blender
- 3.Grease a granite platform if you have in the kitchen or any smooth platform or you can grease a back side of steel thali with the refine/olive oil
- 4.Pour batter in a deep pan and stir consistently
- 5.Stir continuously so that lumps should not form and it batter should not burn
- 6.Cook till the mixture becomes thick and you can smell the aroma
- 7.To check if the mixture has correct consistency, take a small steel plate, grease its back side with the oil
- 8.Spread some batter and leave it for few seconds, and when you peel it and it comes out fine and you can make a roll out of it, the batter consistency is right.
- 9.If not, stir it for few more minutes
- 10.Once the batter has right consistency, spread it on the smooth surface quickly with the big spoon or spatula
- 11.Let it stick for a minute and then cut it in straight lines with a knife
- 12.Start making rolls of each strip carefully and keep it on a plate
- 13.Pour seasoning on the top of the khandvi rolls
- 14.Sprinkle grated coconut, carrot and chopped coriander on the top of the rolls
- 15.Serve with mint and tamarind chutney with a cup of tea
- •Batter should be of right consistency, otherwise rolls will not come out right
- •Don't overcook the gram flour batter, or it will become too thick to make rolls
- •To check the right consistency, put small amount on the plate and check
- •You can store it up to two days in refrigerator
- •If you don't have buttermilk, you can add water in yogurt and blend it
Have you ever tried making a Khandvi recipe before? What do you think of this recipe as a great snack or appetizer. I would love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment below.